Inter Faith Week is a tremendous opportunity to demonstrate and strengthen links with your diverse local community and to encourage new links and partnerships which contribute to integration and cohesion.
Below are some ideas for Inter Faith Week. These draw on successful activities held by local authorities in recent times. Most can be adapted, if needed, to be fully or partly virtual.
- Hold an event to highlight and celebrate the role of faith organisations in the local community – perhaps particularly during the pandemic
- Produce a video message with faith leaders and figures such as the leader of the council, mayor, and local MP(s) about the importance of positive engagement between people of different backgrounds; tackling prejudice and standing up to hate; solidarity at times of difficulty; and inter faith understanding and cooperation
- Release an Inter Faith Week message from the Mayor or Lord Mayor
- Arrange an Inter Faith Week tree planting in a local park – perhaps also linked to the Queen’s Green Canopy scheme: https://queensgreencanopy.org/
- Develop or update an online map of places of worship in your authority.
- Host a civic Inter Faith Week ‘reception’ or other event to mark the Week with guests from local faith communities and the local inter faith organisation(s)
- Visits by relevant elected members and staff to a number of different places of worship during the Week
- Hold or support a youth inter faith event to discuss issues faced by young people of different faiths and beliefs, and their hopes for the future
- Encourage local schools to mark Inter Faith Week
- Host a joint discussion with faith communities, police, and other relevant partners about safety in places of worship
- Create and fly an Inter Faith Week flag based on the downloadable logo
- Run a training session for councillors and frontline staff on faith and belief issues – with speakers from local faith and belief groups
- Create an exhibition or online resource about the diverse faith groups and inter faith initiatives in your authority
- Explore with local faith communities development of a Faith Covenant
If you hold an activity, please do take a few minutes to register it on the IFW website. If you register you will also be eligible for a free pack with Inter Faith Week stickers, a poster, flyers, and a blank message card on which to share an Inter Faith Week message!
Published 8 August 2022