This page features some downloadable resources for schools and SACREs to aid in your marking of the Week.
Event and activity ideas for schools can also be found in The Inter Faith Week Toolkit
Inter Faith Week is a great opportunity for pupils to explore inter faith issues and for schools to build relationships with faith groups in their community.
Below are a few ideas for ways in which schools might get involved in the Week. All of them draw on real examples of ways that schools have marked past Inter Faith Weeks. Further down this page are some more detailed resources.
- Work with your local inter faith group and SACRE to host a special assembly or ‘Question Time’
- Organise an exhibition featuring information and objects about a range of religions and beliefs
- Arrange a friendly sports match between your school and a school with pupils of mainly other faith backgrounds from those at your school
- Host a parent-teacher ‘faith quiz’ one evening in collaboration with local faith communities or a local inter faith group
- Visit a local place of worship to investigate the importance of faith in the lives of believers
- Create an Inter Faith Week poster, artwork or multfaith calendar
- Have a dialogue about a topic such as ‘shared values’ or how people of different faiths and beliefs can live well together.
- Invite local MPs/MEPs/councillors to an RE lesson to see how faith is studied and/or to discuss the importance of learning about others’ beliefs
- Make a video of events at your school held for Inter Faith Week
- Hold a 'theme week' in the school caffeteria featuring foods associated with different faiths and cultures each day.
Some of these resources were specially created for Inter Faith Week in 2009 by the National Association of Teachers of Religious Education (NATRE) and the National Association for Standing Advisory Councils for Religious Education (NASACRE), with support from the then Department for Children, Schools and Families.
Further support may also be available locally through your RE Adviser, Lead/AST RE teachers or local SACRE. The resources below can be used to organise activities during Inter Faith Week itself, or throughout the year to support your schools' work to promote good inter faith relations within your community.
Scottish Interfaith Week, which takes place on the same dates, is led by Interfaith Scotland. The Scottish Interfaith Week page contains a number of resources, including for schools.
During Inter Faith Week 2019, IFN launched a new resource for primary school pupils aged 9-11, called Learning about inter faith activity. It can be found on the IFN website.
Interfaith Explorers is a project of the Maimonides Interfaith Foundation, which is endorsed by UNESCO, and provides free, structured learning materials about inter faith engagement for primary schools. There are also free, downloadable certificates for schools and pupils who take part.
Inter Faith Week activities for Primary Schools This material was first produced by NATRE in 2009 amd was updated in 2018. It includes both whole school and classroom RE activities. This resource is also available from the TES website.
Inter Faith Week activities for Secondary Schools This material was first produced by NATRE in 2009 amd was updated in 2018. It includes both whole school and classroom RE activities. This resource is also available from the TES website.
Inter Faith Week – ideas for SACREs This material produced by NASACRE in 2009 gives suggestions for community based activities which can be organised or supported by SACREs and can help bring together young people of different faiths from different schools. This resource is also available from the TES website.
Celebrating RE resource for schools A resource for schools and RE teachers for engaging with inter faith organisations. These resources were developed for the Celebrating RE Month in March 2011. Resources are hosted with the kind permission of the RE Council for England and Wales. Click for the Welsh language version
Celebrating RE resource for inter faith groups A resource for inter faith organisations seeking to get involved with supporting RE provision in schools. These resources were developed for the Celebrating RE Month in March 2011. Resources are hosted with the kind permission of the RE Council for England and Wales. Click for the Welsh language version
School Linking Information about ‘schools linking’ and support to make a link between your school and another school with pupils of different backgrounds, including of different faiths.
Published 15 November 2019