About the Week
Inter Faith Week 2013 in England, Northern Ireland and Wales
Inter Faith Week 2013 will take place from Sunday 17 - Saturday 23 November.
Inter Faith Week will usually take place in England, Northern Ireland and Wales in the 3rd week of November, beginning on a Sunday.
Inter Faith Week:
- Highlights the good work done by local faith, inter faith and faith-based groups and organisations
- Draws new people into inter faith learning and cooperation
- Enables greater interaction between people of different backgrounds
- Helps develop integrated and neighbourly communities
- Celebrates diversity and commonality
- Opens new possibilities for partnership
Building good relationships and working partnerships between people of different faiths and beliefs is part of the year-round work of many people and organisations across the UK.
Having a special Week provides a focal point, helping to open inter faith activity up to a wider audience so that more and more people are made aware of the importance of this vital work and are able to participate in it.
The three aims of the Week are:
- Strengthening good inter faith relations at all levels
- Increasing awareness of the different and distinct faith communities in the UK, in particular celebrating and building on the contribution which their members make to their neighbourhoods and to wider society
- Increasing understanding between people of religious and non-religious beliefs
Anyone can take part in Inter Faith Week and hold Inter Faith Week events.
An online event registration form will be available on this website later in 2013.
Inter Faith Week is for everyone. Some of the many kinds of organisations who have participated in previous Weeks include:
- faith communities and their places of worship
- community and voluntary groups
- inter faith bodies
- youth groups
- schools and SACREs
- institutions of further and higher education
- local authorities and other public agencies
- sports organisations
- businesses and workplaces
- TV and radio stations
- and many others
ENGLAND, WALES, NORTHERN IRELAND
The Week in England is led by the Inter Faith Network for the UK, working with its member bodies. In Wales, the Inter-faith Council for Wales leads and in Northern Ireland, the Northern Ireland Inter-Faith Forum leads. Event listings for the three nations will appear, by agreement, on this single website.
For further information about the history of the Week, please click here.
Scotland already had an established Inter Faith Week before the rest of the UK, and this is normally held a week later, to coincide with St Andrew’s Day. In 2013, the Week in Scotland will take place from Sunday 24 November to Saturday 1 December. Further details about Scottish Interfaith Week can be found on the website of Interfaith Scotland.