In many parts of the country, police forces have been making a very important contribution to developing and sustaining good inter faith relations.
Event and activity ideas for the emergency services can also be found in The Inter Faith Week Toolkit
Inter Faith Week provides a great opportunity to connect with faith communities within the local community which you serve.
Engaging with local inter faith initiatives helps to forge strong and long-lasting relationships of trust and understanding with different faith groups within your local community.
- Participate in an Inter Faith Week event that is already happening in the local community
- Run a short article in your newsletter or bulletin about Inter Faith Week and why inter faith issues are relevant to effective, community friendly policing
- Hold a half day seminar looking at the role of faith communities in an integrated local community
- Arrange a talk about inter faith relations from a police perspective
- Create a display about involvement in your force, and in the Police more generally, of men and women of different faiths. How are their dietary needs being catered for? What sorts of variations of uniforms have been developed? What do they see as the teachings in their traditions which lead them to want to serve the community in this important role?
- Invite representatives from local faith groups to provide an opportunity for officers and staff to ask questions, and to gain insight into the different religions, customs and cultures of the communities they serve
- Organise a ‘living library’ event, where you invite local faith community members to be human ‘books’ which your members can ‘take out’ to talk with and learn from
- Organise a ‘religious literacy’ day in partnership with a local inter faith group, local authority or local faith leaders to enable officers to learn about some of the main faiths active in your local community, and the various practices associated with each faith.
- Provide space for a local inter faith community event
Published 6 November 2016