Online activity ideas
The ideas below were sent to Inter Faith Week mailing list subscribers on 12 May 2020 as part of the '6 months to go' email. They contain ideas for marking the week 'virtually' in a context where the impact of COVID-19 in the Autumn is still not known.
If you are thinking about an online opportunity for learning, mixing or helping your community to come together there are a number of things you might do, for example:
- Work with a selection of local places of worship to create online tours of these and assemble them into a faith trail that people can take part in online
- Hold a ‘virtual’ civic reception for local faith leaders and perhaps record a joint Inter Faith Week message about the importance of good inter faith relations in your area
- Hold an art or photo competition which can be judged online if necessary
- Create a calendar for 2021 with pictures taken of inter faith events, places of worship in your area or artwork from different communities
- Create an online quiz about the world’s religions and hold the quiz online during the Week
- Create a blog or oral history project about the history of faith communities in your area, when inter faith activity began and how it has developed
- Interview members of local faith communities and non-religious belief groups about the idea of ‘service’ in their tradition and how their beliefs inspire them and their colleagues to work to help the wider community
- Hold an online ‘bake-in’ or ‘cook-in’ where people of different faiths share their recipes and show the finished item!
- If you are a member of a local inter faith group, across the coming months work with members to produce a short history of your group (if you don’t already have one!) with some reflections about why it’s work is so important and publish it during Inter Faith Week
- Set up an ‘Inter Faith Week Buddy’ experience where two people, each of a different faith or non-religious belief keep in touch across September and October and share during Inter Faith Week some of what they have gained from this (more details available if you would like to try this idea)
- If there are people still needing to self-isolate or be ‘shielded’ during Inter Faith Week, consider a safe way that you might encourage an inter faith team to volunteer and deliver a special ‘Inter Faith Week’ lunch with samples of foods from some of the different faith communities in the area
- Create an on-line ‘faith fair’ for your workplace or Student Union with information about different faiths and beliefs and opportunities to engage in online chats.
- Develop a new website or update your website – or the faith or inter faith section of it – and launch that in Inter Faith Week
- Create an exhibition about different faiths with display panels about each faith group in your area that could be exhibited in an open air space such as at your local rail/ bus station
- Host a webinar or other educational activity for the public
- Create an online exhibition of some of the artefacts in your museum linked to particular faiths, perhaps with talks from people of those faiths
Published June 2020